Skip to main content

Short trip to Medan - the culinary edition




This is a super late post, but I thought this info would be useful for you guys..

Had a chance to visit Medan some time ago for only one and a half day. While work was the focus, I had been meaning to have a little leisure while I was there. Medan, for me, is a place to indulge my taste bud, so many good food there. So I checked around 
from a travel apps for hotel to stay one night.

Then I found Grand Aston City Hall Medan, it had this Aston Spa room available, it looked interesting. I was hooked by a picture of some kind of sauna or an onsen in that room, is that even possible? That room must be very expensive.

I checked the price, it was around IDR 900k (I booked on weekdays – I checked nowadays it’s around IDR 1,150K). For that kind of facility, I thought it was still worthy, so I went with it.

My trip to Medan was only for two days, I flew in the morning, then attended an event. Medan is such a beautiful city, and I have been a big fan of the hawker food. Since the said event held in the mall, I decided to taste some of Medan’s hawker food at night, before checking in to the hotel.


With a heartfelt apology I would like to state that I didn’t remember some of the venues (will do a post faster next time before I forgot again). One of my friends from Medan knew how much I love fish dishes. So he took me to eat this wonderful “ikan patin kuah gulai” it was some kind of catfish cooked in curry sauce. 
ikan patin kuah


We chatted a little bit before moving to the next culinary experience. The night was still young, and the traffic was not as jammed as Jakarta, so we had a good ride. Initially he asked if I wanted to eat some Durians, but I always did that during previous visit, so I decided to end the night with another savory meals.  




We arrived at Pagaruyung, a culinary complex full of traditional food. We sat at one that located nearest to the roadway, the place is crowded but still cozy.

you can see the food on display before being cooked
“Mie rebus” (boiled noodles with soup) was the first one we ordered, or they call it Mie Rebus Pak Ramli (the seller). Tt came, yellow noodle with a thick soup. It was delicious, served with boiled eggs and crackers.  We added extra shells satay, for extra flavor and munch. It was the right decision!
Mie Rebus Pak Ramli, Pagaruyung Medan

sate kerang

Last but not least, I ordered “martabak telor” just in case I got hungry at the hotel, but since my friend would go home after the meal, we decided to have it served there and had a piece each. Since I didn’t pay for any of my meals (thank you) I didn’t get the chance to see the cost of our dinner.




delicious way to end the night

It didn’t take long from Pagaruyung to the hotel, less than 15 minutes (well it was already late at night as well). I was greeted on the front lobby and got my luggage to the room. The usual good standard. My room was as promised, Japanese ambiance, everything in the room was in good condition.


clean, good condition, and on theme.


 Then, the moment of truth, I opened the bathroom, I see a little onsen-like pool, the bamboo-blind was still closed.

There was fluffy towels, some shower kit (shampoo, conditioner, soap) and aromatherapy oil burner. Lovely! 


covered with a bamboo blind



What’s best was when I pulled the bamboo blind, I could see the whole room and watch TV while enjoying a warm bath. I’d say this is ideal for a couple who needed a short getaway (or even honeymoon) or just want to relax after a busy day in privacy.


just, beautiful.


That's it, I mean most of my activities in Medan that time was working, so the rest was more to laptop and visits :) but I hope you enjoy this piece, and see you again soon

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

My work stations at home (1) : Outdoor set

  Hey all! How is it going? I finally registered to one of Indonesia’s top unis for my doctorate degree plan, wish me luck! I still have one more options but it doesn’t start the registration session until early next year, so I will be waiting patiently about that. I have been reading and taking the test simulations with some books, and the tests will be next week, so I thought I will slow down for one day. I have done what I can and I deserve a little break >.<   It has been uneasy to switch your behaviour from working to studying hahaha. I mostly do my work inside, in a room, for concentration, but for the slowing down day, I’m just going to do a little bit of my freelance task, and a lot of Prime Video, I need some good outdoor set, also to get some sun because I have been spending most of my times in a room with an AC.   As per usual, I prepared myself in the morning with a little bit of make-up, just to keep my discipline in grooming myself, because as fun as lounge-wear bec

Online Job Interview From Home - Space Preparation

My last post was about helping my cousin create a resume, so I thought to continue about the job interview, which commonly done online these days. My last job interview was on March 2020, that was the first online job interview for me. It made me anxious and relaxed at the same time.   Anxious, because well it’s a job interview and I really wanted the job, so I didn’t want to make errors from the lack of internet until how I answered the questions from the HR personnel and the user. The relaxing part was that I got to make my own ambiance, from sitting on my favourite chair, using my favourite room scent, and the light that made me look nice and confident.   If you are doing a job interview at home, and at the interview time other members of your household are present, you want to inform them about your interview schedule . That way, you won’t be surprised on loud TV noises or people chatting near your “interview zone”. I have a dedicated room to do my interviews/online conferences act

Private dining experience in the #newnormal

Two weeks ago was my sister in law's birthday. We want to do something nice, we are all bunch of foodies so we decided to go for super early dinner. Thankful for some friends whom shared some references of some locations that we thought were quite comfortable to go and enjoy during this #newnormal time We decided to book a dining session at a Japanese restaurant called Furusato Izakaya , located in Sudirman area in Jakarta, for 5pm dine in, because we thought that it would be less crowded. And it was a private dining, so we felt more comfortable. They did inform us that it was 2 hour period of booking, which was fine by us, because we rarely stayed long in public areas these days. My mom looked super chic at the entrance^^ The restaurant reminded me of a traditional Japanese restaurant. The private dining area was located at the second floor. From the moment we walked in, the clean and health facility was satisfying such as liquid disinfectant, distance signage, people wearing mask